skip to main content
California Education Code 48980 requires school districts to notify the parent or guardian of a minor pupil regarding their rights and responsibilities. This annual notification is included in enrollment packets at the beginning of the school year, or at the time of enrollment. GCC encourages each parent/guardian to read and know their rights under the laws governing the education of their children. Parents/guardians are urged to fully exercise their rights according to the laws that are explained in the Annual Notification. 

Your Child has the Right to a Free Public Education

All children have a right to equal access to free public education, regardless of their or their parents’/guardians’ immigration status. All children in California:
    • Have the right to a free public education.
    • Must be enrolled in school if they are between 6 and 18 years old.
    • Have the right to attend safe, secure, and peaceful schools.
    • Have a right to be in a public school learning environment free from discrimination, harassment, bullying, violence, and intimidation.
    • Have equal opportunity to participate in any program or activity offered by the school without discrimination

Information Required for School Enrollment

    • Schools may accept a variety of documents from the student’s parent or guardian to demonstrate proof of child’s age.
    • Information about citizenship/immigration status is never needed for school enrollment. A Social Security number is never needed for school enrollment.

Confidentiality of Personal Information

    • Federal and state laws protect student education records and personal information. These laws generally require that schools get written consent from parents or guardians before releasing student information, unless the release of information is for educational purposes, is already public, or is in response to a court order or subpoena.

Family Safety Plans if You Are Detained or Deported

    • You can update your child’s emergency contact information, including secondary contacts, to identify a trusted adult guardian who can care for your child if you are detained or deported.
    • You can complete a Caregiver’s Authorization Affidavit or a Petition for Appointment of Temporary Guardian of the Person to give a trusted adult the authority to make educational and medical decisions for your child.

Right to File a Complaint

Your child has the right to report a hate crime or file a complaint to GCC if he or she is discriminated against, harassed, intimidated or bullied because of his or her actual or perceived nationality, ethnicity, or immigration status.  
Annual Notifications - Document Download

Annual Notifications - Document Download

Copies of the Educational Rights - Annual Notification letter can be downloaded below and are available from the Central Office of Gateway Community Charters and each school front office.