Charter schools are independent public schools that are allowed to be more innovative and are held accountable or for improved student achievement. By forming a strong partnership among parents, students and teachers, charter schools are able to create an environment that’s specially tailored for the students who go there. An environment where:
- Parents are encouraged to be involved
- Teachers have the freedom to innovate
- Students have the chance to learn
- All three are held accountable for improving student achievement
- Do not charge tuition
- Are not religiously-based, and may not discriminate
- Enroll all students who apply, unless the school is at capacity, when at capacity prospective students are entered into a lottery
- Meet all California State Standards for curriculum
- Administer state standardized tests
- Have credentialed teachers for core subjects
- Receive public funding, based on student enrollment
Since April 2003 the GCC has successfully conceived, created and implemented 7 quality charter school options in the Greater Sacramento Valley; 5 of our 7 schools have been in operation for 5 or more years. Each of our schools has a unique mission and vision and has a track record serving students within the charter school construct.
National Charter Schools Week:
May 1-7, 2016
Learn the facts about Charter Schools at the National Alliance for Public Charter Schools website.
WELCOME From the Superintendent/CEO
Welcome to Gateway Community Charters (GCC). As the Superintendent/CEO of the GCC, I am excited and proud to lead our dynamic charter school organization. Gateway Community Charters is a 501c3 nonprofit public benefit corporation that has been providing quality school choice options in the greater Sacramento region for ten years.