Good Afternoon GCC Families,
Thank you for your patience and understanding as we all maneuver in this new and challenging world. The Core Values of the GCC are summarized and stated simply as “SERVICE” and in this vein we are incredibly proud of the job our teachers and staff are doing to implement distance learning and educational support at all our GCC schools. We appreciate each of you, our families, for your support as we work together during these unprecedented times. On Tuesday, the California Department of Education issued updated guidance for public schools to support the implementation of distance learning options for students. I am proud to say that prior to this guidance the GCC school site staff was already working and implementing strategies to support our students in their learning during school closure.
I would like to update you on a few key areas;
- State Testing Update: Governor Newsom issued an order to suspend state standardized testing
- School Closure Update: Based on the Governor’s statement during his press briefing Tuesday evening, our Cabinet team is preparing for the genuine possibility of school closures being extended beyond April 14th, 2020. We will keep you updated as we receive guidance from the state and county but we wanted you to consider what possible preparations may be needed should this occur.
- Food Service: GCC continues to collaborate with our authorizing and neighboring districts to provide information where our families and students can receive meals. Please visit the GCC website for a list of all area food service locations.
- Class of 2020: We want to acknowledge the Class of 2020 and their families. We realize this is a stressful time for high school seniors in our schools in California and across the nation. We will be working with teachers, counselors, and school site administrators to consider and communicate the next steps about diplomas, graduations and other end-of- year activities as they become available.
- Sacramento County and Yolo County recently announced a ‘stay at home’ order for its residence (more information here Public Health Order FAQs)
- CKH (Capturing Kids Hearts): This amazing program outlines a process that our staff uses to help build meaningful connections with students. The goal is to capture kids’ hearts in order to capture their minds. Our students thrive when they feel cared for and engaged. One central piece of CKH is the Social Contract. A Social Contract is built in each classroom to establish the guidelines and expectations for how students and teachers will treat each other. We would encourage you to consider creating a social contract with your student at home, our teachers and staff are prepared to help you with the process of building the contract.
- Support for our vulnerable student populations: It is our heart to continually seek ways to serve our students and families. If you or your student have expressed need or concerns during this time please communicate with your teacher or the site principal. We will do whatever we can to assist you in these challenging times.
- Resources: We will continue to update information on the GCC website for parents on the resources you need to support your students.
Thank you for your kindness, flexibility, and grace as we navigate through this unusual time. We commit to doing our absolute best to care for our families, staff, and students during this global health crisis.
We know you may have questions and we do too as this is unfolding very quickly on the city, county, state and country levels. We are committed to continue to share what is known with you here or through your site leaders.
Thank you for all you are doing to support the learning process in these challenging times.
Dr. Cindy Petersen